Welcome to the Additional Learning Needs Department at Eastern High which is committed to supporting all pupils identified on our register to the very best of our ability. If you have any concerns or worries, you can discuss them with Mrs Phillips who is our Additional Learning Needs Co-ordinator. Please contact the school phone number 02920792751 to make an appointment.
ALN means additional learning needs and disabilities which can affect a young person’s ability to learn. It may affect their :
- Behaviour or ability to socialise
- Ability to understand and process information
- Concentration levels
- Physical ability.
On entry to Eastern High pupils who have already been identified as having Additional Learning Needs will be re-assessed to ensure that their on-going provision is appropriate to their individual needs. In addition to this, all pupils are regularly assessed and appropriate interventions put in place for those who are highlighted as needing additional support.
We work very closely with the Local Authority to access all the support necessary for our students. Here are some of the agencies we work with to assist your child.
- BESD Team (Behaviour, social and emotional difficulties)
- CAHMS (Child and adolescent mental health service)
- EP (Education Psychologist)
- FAP (Fair Access Panel)
- HI Team (Hearing impaired)
- PARM (Parental area request meeting)
- PIO (Partnership inclusion officer)
- SLCD Team (Speech, language and communication difficulties)
- SNAP Cymru
- SEN Casework Team
- SPLD Team (Specific learning difficulties)
- VI Team (Visually impaired)
All pupils seeking more support than the school can offer have to go through the five staged graduated response.
- Stage 1: Effective whole school inclusion of SEN pupils.All pupils seeking more support than the school can offer have to go through the five staged graduated response.
- Stage 2: Graduated response SA /SA+ including structured individualised programmes.
- Stage 3 : PARM Referral : (Parental Area Request Meeting) If successful will enable the child to access external support.
- Stage 4 : TAC : Team around the child meeting
- Stage 5 : Statement
Throughout each stage evidence has to be collected and collated to show the interventions at each level.